As Christians, there is no reason we should ever fear the devil. He has been defeated, paralyzed and exposed, so we can be aware of his tactics and devices, yet without fearing him. In fact, Jesus has given us unquestionable authority over him, and his devices and tactics are no longer a mystery. Paul wrote to the believers at the Church of Corinth and said he was “not ignorant of the devil’s devices.” (II Cor. 2:11) In this instance, Paul was referring to unforgiveness – that’s a big one! If the devil can get us into a place where we cannot forgive someone he has carved a major inroad in our lives.
One of the pre-emptive phases of unforgiveness is offense. When someone offends us by taking advantage of us or hurting us in some way, it’s easy to justify unforgiveness toward that person; but not before God! We all have offended someone in some way – especially God. God has the right to judge. We don’t!
Once we have been locked up with unforgiveness we don’t walk in love. In fact, we walk in guilt, we become defensive, angry and begin to lose interest in God, the things of God and the economy of the kingdom of God! Then, faith won’t work, our prayers won’t work and our sense of right standing before God begins to fade. Unforgiveness is a major tactic of the enemy, and we need to get it out of our temple like we would drive a cobra out! Unforgiveness is like drinking poison and hoping the other person will die.
Make a List
Make an ongoing list of the enemy’s tactics you discover in the scriptures and begin to meditate on them daily. Then, ask the Lord to show you how to overcome or avoid them. Below are a few of the enemy’s tactics; with a few of God’s answers:
- Persecution – Mark 4:17 – answer: 2 Cor. 4:9; 2 Cor. 2:14; I John 4:4
- Affliction/Hardship – Mark 4: 17 – answer: Ro. 8:18; 2 Cor. 4:8
- The Cares of this life – Mark 4:19 – answer: Col. 3:1-2
- Lusts for other things – Mark 4:19 – answer: James 1:14-17; 2 Tim. 2:2
- Deceitfulness of riches – Mark 4:19 – answer: Psalm 23:1; Phil. 4:11-13
- Fear – Job 3:25; Rev. 21:8 – answer: Ps. 23:4; Hebrews 2:14-15; I John 4:17-18
- Unforgiveness – Mark 11:25-26 – answer: Eph. 4:32