“For who has known the mind of the Lord that he may instruct Him?” But we have the mind of Christ.” I Corinthians 2:16
The Bible has much to say about the mind of Christ and its development in our lives as believers. Philippians 2:5 says, “Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus…” Romans 12:2 tells us that we are “…transformed by the renewing of our minds.” That renewal comes when we allow the thoughts of Christ to rule in our minds and replace the knowledge base of the old mind that was trained and ruled by the natural senses. The mind of Christ is a spiritual mind that is established in the eternal Word of God!
In Philippians 4:8, God gives us a list of things to fill our minds with. These are the things that the natural mind finds foolish, but those of us who are saved find them precious!
“Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things.” Philippians 4:8
If we are to emulate our Father and walk like Jesus did, in the power of the Spirit, these are the things we need to meditate on.
- Things that are TRUE. “Let God be true and every man a liar.” Consider the source of what we hear and who the father of lies is. Fill your mind with God’s words – not man’s.
- Things that are NOBLE. If there is anything noble, it doesn’t come from this world. It comes from God. Fill up on the testimonies of men like Daniel and Joseph; noble men!
- Things that are JUST. There is very little justice in this world, but when there is, it’s a stand alone wonder that only those who are familiar with it will recognize it and rejoice!
- Things that are PURE. Purity is that of being single minded, sharp and clear on one’s objectives. The mind of Christ will always defer to accomplishing God’s objectives.
- Things that are LOVELY. This speaks of setting our affections on God and His Word.
- Things that are of GOOD REPORT. This refers to people and things that are well spoken of, something in which there is no controversy or question of character.
- Things that are VIRTUOUS. This refers to excellence. If we think on excellence, our actions will follow and will witness the life of Christ in us.
- Things that are PRAISEWORTHY. This speaks of something that is commendable and notably above the ordinary.
When we fill our minds with these things, they will begin to shape our minds to conform to Jesus in all we do. We will begin to identify more with how Jesus would apply the Word, how He would respond to people and situations. In short, Jesus will be our identity! Proverbs 23:7 says, “As a man thinks in his heart, so is he.” According to the Bible, we have the mind of Christ. Let’s start allowing it to operate in us.